If you are familiar with VPS, then you know how important it is to your trading success. For those of you who are not familiar with VPS, a “Virtual Private Server” is a dedicated enterprise server that is housed in a climate-controlled, static-free environment. The term “virtual” is used because you can login in from any location worldwide, provided that you have an internet connection. A VPS can be used for trading forex, equities, options, futures, mutual funds or any type of trading engine that is software or web-based.
Click here to order your copy of The VXX Trend Following Strategy today and be one of the very first traders to utilize these unique strategies. This guidebook will make you a better, more powerful trader.
The use of VPS is critically important when working with multiple trading strategies simultaneously and even more so, if you are using “automated” trading strategies, such as robots (expert advisors) or automated signals.
Below are some reasons about why you should avoid using a home computer to trade multiple strategies:
- Your home computer is more susceptible to power surges and internet outages.
- You have to share resources with other applications, such as web surfing, email, music, etc.
- You are more likely to get, or already have worms, viruses and cookie trackers.
- Older computers or computers that are running too many programs and processes may not run your trading software properly.
- Your home computer is usually not in a temperature and humidity controlled environment.
- For automated strategies, most people don’t want to have to run their computer 24/7.
Here are some reasons why it is important to have a VPS if you trade:
- You do not have to worry about the internet going down.
- You do not have to worry about power surges or outages.
- You can turn your home computer off whenever you want.
- It does not consume valuable resources and space on your computer.
- You can run your trading platform from anywhere in the world with just an internet connection.
- You can run your trading platform from an iPhone, if the application is offered.
- The VPS is dedicated to your trading platform.
- An extremely secure firewall that protects against hackers and other threats.
- A VPS is designed to run 24 hours a day.
Beyond the reasons stated above, it is extremely important to have a VPS when you are utilizing multiple trading strategies. Typically, when you have a trading platform open on your home computer, you would not be able to open another version of that same platform. With a VPS you can have one on your home computer and one on the VPS. In any case, the most important features of utilizing a VPS for multiple trading strategies are the following:
- You can run the same platform with the same account on two computers, so you can view different charts, or test different settings and parameters on your strategies.
- You can run the same platform with two different accounts, 24 hours a day.
- You can run the same trading robot or automated signals on the same currency pair with two different platforms without conflict.
- You can run multiple trading robots on several platforms at the same time.
- You have greater computer resources when working with multiple strategies.
- It gives you the ability to diversify your assets by utilizing multiple strategies.
- If you leave your office or home, you can login and check your accounts from a café, netbook, laptop, iPhone, library computer, friend’s computer, etc.
If you are serious about trading, you can see why using a VPS is essential to your trading success, especially when running multiple robots and/or signals or utilizing multiple trading strategies.
John A. Taxiarchos is a seasoned professional trader and money manager with over 10 years of experience in the Forex and Equities markets. He is currently a Currency Strategist for fxworldmarkets.com.